River City Reading

Helping readers of literary, contemporary and historical fiction find their next great book.
The Woman Upstairs - Claire Messud Elementary school teacher Nora Eldridge knows how to make other people happy; her students, her dying mother, her ailing father. Yet, she long ago abandoned her dreams of being an artist, the one thing that might have made her happy. When Reza Shahid enters her classroom, Nora's outlook begins to change. Reza, his mother Sirena, a captivating Italian artist, and father Skander soon begin to take the place of the immediate family Nora never had. While Nora finds herself falling in love with each of the Shahids, her desperate attempts to keep them close will begin to clash with the family's larger ambitions.

The Woman Upstairs starts with a punch. An angry, gritty rant penned by Nora after the remainder of the book's events take place. In brilliant language, Messud throws Nora at her readers, setting a perfect stage for the novel to perform on.

"Really I’m angry because I’ve tried so hard to get out of the hall of mirrors, this sham and pretend of the world, or of my world, on the East Coast of the United States of America in the first decade of the twenty-first century. And behind every mirror is another fucking mirror, and down every corridor is another corridor, and the Fun House isn’t fun anymore and it isn’t even funny, but there doesn’t seem to be a door marked EXIT."

She then tiptoes back to her life as a teacher and her introduction to Reza. While Messud's writing is continuously stunning, Nora's powerful voice retreats through the middle of the book as she details her increasing attachment to each member of the Shahid family.

"What had I done with my time up till now, I had to wonder, and have to wonder now again: Does Being Happy simply Create More Time, in the way that Being Sad, as we all know, slows time and thickens it, like cornstarch in a sauce?"

That slowed time is the drag that weakens the final third of the novel, save for the last few pages. As her happiness begins to shift toward jealously and abandonment, Nora is left to stew in those feelings for a seemingly long time. What might have been empathy for her situation became frustration, as the power of Messud's introduction to Nora suggested a shattering event that felt like it might never arrive.

But it does. Oh. It. Does. We get that glorious, angry Nora back. And she tears through the last few pages with the fury she detailed in the first, creating a bookend to enclose the sometimes overdrawn sections in the novel's middle.
(full review at rivercityreading.blogspot.com)

Under the Wide and Starry Sky