River City Reading

Helping readers of literary, contemporary and historical fiction find their next great book.
Lighthouse Island: A Novel - Paulette Jiles I had been excited about Lighthouse Island since I first heard about it several months ago, instantly drawn to the idea of a dystopian novel from an author with a literary background. While the mechanics of Jiles's writing holds up, she struggles with coherent worldbuilding from the start, making it nearly impossible to feel connected to her characters. Because it was so difficult to understand the structure or history behind the world's current state, it was also difficult to find meaning behind the choices the characters were making. Rather than feeling compelled to look deeper into the story and make connections - something I am more than willing to do if I feel those connections are there - I was both bored and frustrated. Jiles started with an exciting premise, but tried to explore too many trajectories when plotting out a dystopian future for her characters to live in.

Reviewed on www.redlettereads.com